Summer Solstice at the Stones

I went to the gathering of the tribes at Stonehenge for the Solstice sunrise on the 21st June with a new friend. There was an electric atmosphere on arrival to the carpark despite the Babylon control we had been under for the past 5 miles. There were road cones blocking off grass verges, lay-bys and roads within a few miles of the stones. There was a heavy police presence which increased as we turned off the A303 for henge. After getting into the parking field we are then parked by a steward (as if we can't do it ourselves?) We met up with my good friend Dawn and headed to the sacred circle. There was thousands of people there, unfortunately not all of them know anything about Stonehenge and why people have a celebration there on the Solstice. It always amazes me though that so many people can take a day out mid-week to really celebrate. I love the fact all sorts of people go to Stonehenge, I don't believe it should be kept only for the Pagans or the Hippies or any select group. What I do believe however is that everyone who goes there respects the fact that it is a sacred space to many. I hadn't been there long when right next to me inside the stone circle a bloke started pissing right there. Not only were there a huge amount of people there that he was no doubt splashing with his piss but it is a sacred area. Would he walk into a cathedral and just get his knob out and piss? I doubt it. There was lots of people on Ketamin which isn't a problem, people should be free to take whatever substance they want. It is a problem when you see it is the Ketamin heads dropping litter and pissing wherever they want. That is not strictly true though as all sorts of people seem to think it's OK to drop their rubbish there. Anyway despite the Babylon and the idiots I did have a good time, took loads of photos with my camera and my friends camera with real old fashioned film inside! Celebrated the dawn although we didn't see the sun, bumped into an old friend and went back to the van tired and happy. We got told to leave and handed a warning from security once midday had passed and made our way to Avebury. There was a height restriction in place on the carpark there which meant we couldn't park there in my van. We drove a few miles out to Silbury hill where some other vans were parked up on the Ridgeway. After more sleep we went for a walk before departing home, back to work :-(

Solstice graphic from Joe Public.

My beautiful friend Dawn.




People gather around the stones all through the night.

Communal fire.

Sunrise, although no sun to be seen!




The stones after sunrise.

The long walk to the carpark.

Grrr..... litter.

I guess that means "Fuck off" then!

Comments