Feasting, fasting, dieting and exercising!

Hello dear readers :) Just a brief catch up on the weightloss/healthy eating lifestyle I am trying to get my head around and stick to!
 The last time I wrote I was away working for another 2 weeks and doing well sticking to the fast and feast days but not so well with the exercise. I felt I had lost a couple of pounds but the scales in Boots were out of order so no way to tell! On my 2 weeks off I thought I had done OK although I did make flapjacks and buy a cheesecake and had some pretty big meals. I has bought a new skirt when I had been at work and although it was tight when I bought it when trying it on when my 2 weeks off were nearly up I couldn't do it up. Lucky it was only £3 from a charity shop!

My worst fears were confirmed once I was back at work and went on the now fixed scales at the local Boots and found I had put on 2lbs since January :( I have also been having lots of tattooing done at the top of my leg so have been looking at lots of photos of parts of my body I don't study that much and noticed how fat I was getting.

Now I am totally against the whole body image of women (and men at times) that society makes us believe is what we all should look like. Bodies come in all shapes and sizes and life's experiences can shape our bodies like childbirth or accidents but I also know that you should feel and be healthy. I don't care I will never have a flat stomach or that I will never be really toned and fit looking. What I do care about is how I feel and how being over weight can affect my long-term health.

So many people over 55-60 are on blood pressure and heart medication as well as numerous other things and I would like to be at a level of fitness so that I will not be advised to take these medications in 10 years time. I know if I start now in my 40s I can build up a decent level of fitness that will benefit me long term. I know if I can get used to at least an hour of exercise every day soon it will become just something I do and not something I have to try and find time for or feel unmotivated to do.

So the power walking is back! For the last 5 days I have done 30 minutes of power walking every day, not as fast as I used to and not as far but I will build that up over time. The worst times are at work when I have to do something else in my break and then I don't really get the chance to go walking but I do have time to do aerobics as although I have to be at the house I get time to do stuff. So it's being disciplined to do that which will happen for 3 days in the next 7. I allow 1 day off every 2 weeks which is changeover day where I work.

At home I also need to be disciplined and take longer dog walks. Power walking is really hard with one of our dogs as he is really old now and blind, deaf and senile. He keeps stopping and I have to stop too or else he can't find me! He usually only has one walk a day now so I need to try and get in a good power walk with just the younger dog.

I also will be getting a bicycle in the next few weeks so can alternate a bit between walking, cycling and aerobics so as it doesn't get too boring. When I was doing power walking in 2015 it started to get very boring doing the same route at work day after day although I do now have more podcasts and music to listen to!

As for the diet side of things that is still going well and as I may have said before when I am away working it goes really well but back home not, so I need to work on that. There are two main issues there, buying cakes and biscuits and having massive portions. I guess the first steps are awareness and wanting to change. That's certainly what I learnt from giving up smoking although that took a really long time to get to a point where I gave up for good,. It was 14 years from really deciding it was time to stop and 3 failed attempts before finally quitting in January 2014. If this trying to get healthy takes that long I'll be massively obese and in my 60's before I turn this around!

Anyway thanks for listening, do leave a comment if you are also dieting and/or exercising to loose weight and get fit. It's nice to hear other experiences. Thanks for looking :) xxx

Comments