Into Spain

We spent our last night in France at Moliets Plage near the town of Moliets-et-Maa. There is an Aire there with showers at 5 Euros for 24 hours out of season & 11 Euros in season. We stayed in the carpark for free though as the place was a bit of a ghost town with all the shops & bars shut for the winter. We crossed into Spain at Irun, a typical border town with lots of shops selling tat. A good place to stock up on cigarettes, tobacco & fuel on the way North though as they are all cheaper in Spain than France! As we are heading south we dont need to worry about that. Our first day in Spain was glorious with sunshine & blue skies, we took the toll road from San Sebastian to Vitoria Gasteiz which was only 10 Euros & we went through a tunnel 3.5km long! We spent our first night in Spain was spent at the monument of Al Pastor near Miranda de Ebro, there is plenty of room to park there & a bar/resturant & campsite. We spent the next day driving on through the country until we were South of Salamanca. The countryside is quite barren around here, there is not much between the few main towns. We stopped near the Embalse de Saint Teresa where a nice local man engaged us in conversation. Our Spanish is pretty terrible but we managed to have a bit of a chat! We have now done 1500 miles since arriving in Calais!

Monument of Al Pastor

Comments

badger_claw said…
Hi Sam, how are you? My name is Gaby Felten and I am an art student at the Royal Academy of the Arts (KABK) in Den Haag, NL. I recently started a durational performance about being a Surplus Person. I'm wearing a uniform every day to denote the fact that I am a surplus person, and I was looking around on the internet to see if anyone else was using that moniker, as in, if anyone identified with that tag, and I found you. If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you why you call yourself surplus person? Does it have anything to do with your environmentalist convictions?

My performance is based on the following article: http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/42/wiles.php
I'd like to know what you think about it. I'd love to hear from you,
Thanks for your time,
Gaby Felten.