The cost of festivals that are 'just like the free ones'

While writing my latest review on Surplus Fest I started having a bit of a rant about the price of going to these 'grass roots' festivals, you know the ones I mean, the ones where people say it's the closest thing to the old school free festivals of the 80s and 90s. Yes there are those sorts of bands, those sorts of alternative people, dogs and trucks and travellers and more importantly there is that sort of vibe. But there is quite a lot of money being charged not only for your own ticket but for your truck and your dog so I'm not sure how that's 'like' a free festival!

I thought it unfair on Surplus festival to add this rant to the review of their festival so decided to do a blog post about it. Before you start on at me for being negative and moaning about the price and telling me I got loads for my £165 at Surplus please remember this is only my own point of view. Personally I like really small festivals, I like a non stewarded event, I like not being told where to park, basically I like the free festival vibe. 

The ONLY event anywhere near this ethos is the Horsedrawn gatherings who keep prices as low as possible and do not charge extra for your dog or your vehicle.

Here's the prices for some of the 'grass roots' festivals (or festivals people say are like the old free festivals) in 2017 for 2 people, 1 truck and 2 dogs:

Beltane Horsedrawn = £50
Surplus Fest = £165
Nozstock (no dogs allowed) = £265
The Green Gathering = £190
Beautiful days (no dogs allowed) = £310 (2016 price)
Summer Horsedrawn = £60
Ferel Fest = £130
Equinox = £237
Something Else in the Dean = £130 (no camper charge :))

Now I understand that some of these festivals are now quite big and have lots of 'big' names in music but they are still hailed as 'grass roots festivals' so I thought I'd include a few as a kind of comparison. We never go to festivals that are no dogs as we have no dog sitters but I have included a couple in the list.

I also understand completely that is not cheap putting on a festival so I am not trying to have a go at the organizers as I'm pretty sure none of them are making loads (if any) money from these festivals and are doing it for the love of it. What I'm not so keen on is these hiked up 'other' charges that really if you need that sort of money just include it in the ticket price and be done with it. Adding up the entry and the camping and the car parking and the dog just seems like a bit of a way to stop you seeing the real cost straight away. Having said that of course that isn't entirely fair on the person not bringing a campervan or dog so there needs to be a happier medium I think.

I am not against paying an extra fee for a dog as I do understand that dogs at festivals present their own problems, mostly dog poo and dogs off leads, I would like to see some of the money we pay for dog tickets go to help solve these problems. Poo patrols maybe where stewards (volunteers obviously) go round giving out poo bags, engaging with dog owners and picking up poo that has been left by the owner.

Loose dogs are a whole different problem as you have to be very careful when handling a strange dog. There was some dog bites at Surplus Fest, nothing serious but someone we know approached a strange dog who was loose, grabbed it and got bitten. Random stewards or festival goers should not be grabbing loose dogs. As someone experienced working in a dog rescue centre I know how easy it can be to spook a normally placid dog.

People need to be taking far more responsibility of their dogs at these events, maybe a leaflet given to dog owners on arrival making it very clear that anyone with a loose dog will be ejected from the festival and maybe qualified dog handlers should be on site. I would also like to see some of the money for the dog ticket go to a rescue centre but that's just because I have worked in these places and know how hard it can be.

As I've already said the clear winner of the 'Free Festie Vibe (for cost)' is the Horsedrawn events, they have everything that those festivals had, nothing more and a nominal fee to pay. Its a all in one fee so no extra charges for parking, campers, dogs or anything else. Second come the Something Else events where the only extra charge is £10 per dog and Ferel Fest which is new this year but is looking like it will be a good one (sadly I'm working over that). Third is Surplus Fest followed by The Green Gathering. Getting into far more expensive territory (although bigger festivals with more names) comes Equinox, Nozstock and trailing quite far behind is Beautiful days.

It is worth remembering that there are ways to get in free at festivals, well should I say without parting with any cash. Jobs stewarding, litter picking, doing welfare, running stalls or playing in bands are all popular choices. Some have more perks than others. For example stewarding is usually quite a lot of hours for the value of a ticket (I know I did stewarding for years!) At Surplus my friend went on his own in a camper and so would have paid £80, instead he stewarded and did 2 x 6 hour shifts which works out that he was paid £6.66 an hour. Less than the minimum wage but actually quite a lot better than some festivals. My other friend in a band played on stage for 45 minutes making her hourly rate £106! She also got petrol paid to get there and was able to bring a friend for free.

I do understand that it is quite often mainly the bands that are playing that bring in the paying guests but still there is such a HUGE difference! I know that is a very black and white way to look at it but I do think there is quite a large gap between what are looked at as the 'lowly' stewards and the 'VIP' musicians. You kind of expect it at Glastonbury or Reading but at Surplus? (or any of the other festivals mentioned except the Horsedrawns) Is that really echoing the 'free festival vibe'?

There are free parties that happen in the UK, hardly really festivals, mainly raves but this summer solstice did see a successful free festival at Woodhenge. There are 'real' free festival on the continent the two most famous probably being Freekuency Festival in Portugal around Easter time and the Dragon Festival in Spain at the time of the Spring Equinox. They are both well worth checking out.

And so ends the rant, whenever I say negative stuff about festivals there is usually a bit of a backlash. Before you decide to have a go just remember this is ONLY my opinion and if you want to give your opinion back then please do but lets make it a constructive discussion not a slanging match!

Thanks for looking :) xxx

Comments

Tim Woodman said…

£300 a weekend and no dogs? Grrrr......

My ill health won't let me travel anyway, I do miss my stewarding days and the company of like minded people like yourself, but so it goes. Keep smiling sweetheart, I do like your blogs. xxx from Tim.
Kozmik.A said…
You failed to mention Kozfest.Beautiful little space-rock festival in Devon,500 max,we've had gong,Here and Now,Hawklords,System 7,even Soft Machine. All for approx £80 a tkt,and I don't think they charge extra for dogs and vans,but I'm not sure,as I'm usually playing there... :-D
Unknown said…
A well written blog.
While we will probably never get back to the completely 'Free Festival' due mainly to people's expectations for decent loos etc ( personally I am happy to take the spade for a walk ) there is room for cheaper self 'policing' ones.
Anonymous said…
My sentiments exactly, we'll written blog, at the end of the day, the folk attending make it for me, greeting old an meeting new, good work Sam
anne galvin said…
Well written 😊 i continue to work at festivals mostly doing massage, my choices of festival are very dependant on pitch fees which can be downright outrageous - green gathering and glastonbury and many small ones have the beautiful policy of asking for a sensible donation of a small %. At others (which charge too much to massage) i help mates who run kids areas so get free entry and get fed too! There's loads of ways to make festivals free but i do find it disagreeable that lots have jumped on the bandwagon of charging extra for live-in vehicles. The reintroduction of dogs allowed after many years of hardly any letting dogs in is great. X
Anonymous said…
Thanx for mentioning our free festival spirit at woodhenge. ❤
the spirit is still about the scene. X jimmy dropzone. ( stage for Stonehenge)
Unknown said…
All bang on, friends animal sanctuary festival in Kent has a very similar vibe and pricing to the horse drawn, its usually in July.