Avebury Summer Solstice

I decided not to do a review on my website for this years Solstice as firstly I didn't actually get about much up and down the Ridgeway as it was so blooming hot and secondly because I didn't really take any pictures down at the stones! Needless to say it was a lovely few days spent up at the Ridgeway with friends despite the blistering heat. The Ridgeway was kept clean and tidy and I don't think National Trust or the Police had any issues with the vehicle dwellers and campers there, at least not the group of them I spoke to anyway.

Due to the glorious weather we actually got to see the sun rise which was lovely but hampered by the shear amount of litter all around the stones. Whilst this was picked up on Solstice morning by a band of volunteers armed with bin bags I still get so annoyed at anyone making the mess in the first place. Ok maybe there should be more bins provided but if not just take it with you, keep it on you. You must have carried it there in the first place no doubt with a contents, it's probably lighter and smaller now so less to carry!

I kind of feel that might have been my last visit to the stones for sunrise and may well just stay at the Ridgeway in the future. It was cleaner there and mainly just my travelling family around there so why go elsewhere! I didn't take many photos but here are a few...

View of the Ridgeway from West Kennet long barrow

West Kennet long barrow

Silbury Hill

Solstice Sunrise

Solstice Sunrise

Watching the sun rise
Thanks for looking :) xxx

Comments