The long awaited Scum of Toytown Live!

Back when the internet was a very new thing to most of us, before social media and everyone being online pretty much 24/7 I was looking to buy an album by AOS3 as a friend had said I would love them. I found a record label called Words of Warning that had a small online store and as well as buying the AOS3 album, (God's Secret Agent), I also bought another couple of albums. One of them was a compilation album called Biting Back that was brought out to support the Hunt Saboteurs. 

On that album I discovered a few new bands that I came to love but my favourite of those new finds was Scum of Toytown. Maybe it was just because I loved the song of theirs on the album, (Sink or Swim) but years later I got round to finding the only album they ever brought out, Strike and loved every song. Funnily enough though as the Sink or Swim version was different on their album to the Hunt Sabs one I was quite disappointed with it!

Since the mid noughties a lot of the anarcho-punk bands from the 80s and 90s have been reforming. More and more smaller festivals playing that kind of music have been springing up and there has even been a resurgence of people moving back onto the road in vans, trucks and busses. It was great to see live many of the bands I had been playing for years but had never seen live the first time round and I was especially happy to hear Scum of Toytown had reformed a few years ago.

Recently I finally got to see them live after years of waiting. We went to Club 85 in Hitchin where Aloha Dead, The Defekters and then Scum of Toytown played on a rainy Saturday night to a mixed crowd of new fans and old, punks, hippies and travellers! There was a great merchandise stall selling all sorts of Scum items as well as lots of free stickers and newsletters from the charity War on Want.

The Defekters were great as they always are despite it being their first gig in a while after taking a break over the winter. Scum of Toytown did not disappoint, they played loads of songs, 18 I think! Loads off the Strike album and loads from their 2015 album Cells which was great and a real treat for me to hear so many of the songs live. Even better was they played my favourite song :) I hope to see them again soon and hopefully next time in a field!

Pictures below from the night, I didn't take my proper camera as had been ill all week and just wanted a good night out without having to think about getting good pictures. I wish I had now though but never mind, here's what I took on my phone....


The Defekters:








 Scum of Toytown:


































 Great tote bag I bought from the merch stall :)




Thanks for looking :) xxx

Comments