New Year, New Me? Bollocks I was fab last year and will be fab this year!

Good evening blog readers and I hope you have all enjoyed the Yule time and I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy 2017 :)

So despite aiming for a detox starting January 1st yet again I seem to be telling you that I haven't succeeded. I am back here at work and there are still biscuits, cake and chocolate lying around to try and tempt me! I have done moderately ok since new year though. I have stuck to about 2000 calories a day so hopefully I wont be gaining weight just not loosing it! And I have dramatically cut back on the chocolate, biscuits and cake!

I have set my self the goal of exercising 5 days out of every 7, power walking or aerobics depending on the weather and circumstances. It's a bit early to say how well (or not) I'm doing on this one but I am determined to stick with it this time. I even decided not to go shopping in my break today and instead did a mile and a half power walk!

What I have been researching these last few days is different types of fasting diets. The first one I learnt about was the CRON (Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition) diet. CRON is about limiting calories and minimizing harmful substances, while maximizing nutrients. After reading all about it I can see it is probably very beneficial and really if you don't take it to extremes it is just a good diet choice. Some people seem to eat very little on it though. Whilst I am dedicated to eating healthier I don't think this is for me.

I had head about the 5:2 fasting diet a couple of years ago when I worked for a lady with dementia. Her son who was a doctor was on it and highly recommended it. The theory is you have five days of normal eating, with little thought to calorie control. Then, on the other two days, you reduce your calorie intake to 500 calories for women and 600 calories for men. This seemed much more up my street until I read that it may not work that well.

That lead me on to the Fast and Feast diet (also known as alternate day fasting or the every other day diet). The theory to this diet is that on fast days your calorie intake should be 500 calories for women and 600 calories for men and on feast days you can eat what you like. Research suggest that most people do not go overboard on their feast days and so over every 48 hour period reduce the number of calories they take in. Research also suggests that the body gets used to a 48 hour eating plan a lot better than the 5:2 diet which tends to be rather random.

Not only can it help you lose weight, say researchers, but trials suggest it could protect against cancer, diabetes and heart disease, in addition to neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s. In other words, it could significantly slow the ageing process.Win win!

From my own research it seems the first week or two will be quite hard but once my body gets used to it I should have no problems. So I have decided to wait until the first day I start back at work as from next week I have 4 weeks off and want to enjoy it and not be stressed out with diets and calorie counting! So Febuary 7th is the start with a fast day!

As usual I will keep updating on here as to my progress, I haven't weighed myself since November so will go and weigh myself at some point during the next few weeks and we will see what happens!

Thanks for looking :) xxx



Comments